PDA

View Full Version : UDP Broadcast and Windows 8.1

Judd
02-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Hello,

I am working on a piece of android software that relies on getting UDP broadcasts from a server. These are sent via 255.255.255.255:5010. I have no control over the sending of the packets. I am just writing a client to listen to them. In my dev setup, I have captured a bunch of this traffic with wireshark and am playing it back on my LAN with Colasoft Packet Player. I noticed the following...

I have 3 machines. All on the same subnet. 2 are windows 7 (#1 and #2) and a third is windows 8.1. I also have a piece of Android hardware sitting on the same subnet (wifi) that is listening to the traffic.

Machine 1 plays back the packets and machines 2 and 3 can "see them" with wireshark. The android client can also see the traffic.
Machine 2 plays back the packets and machines 1 and 3 can "see them" with wireshark. The android client can also see the traffic.
Machine 3 plays back the packets and machines 1 and 3 cannot see them. The android client cannot see the traffic. This is the Win8.1 machine.

Is there something about Win8.1 that has issues with UDP broadcast?

The key issue for me is that this is my portable dev machine and I wanted to be able to take my dev setup on the road. If I am not able to replay the packets, then I cannot leave my LAN.

Thanks,

Judd

Nancy
03-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Machine 1 plays back the packets and machines 2 and 3 can "see them" with wireshark. The android client can also see the traffic.
Machine 2 plays back the packets and machines 1 and 3 can "see them" with wireshark. The android client can also see the traffic.
Machine 3 plays back the packets and machines 1 and 3 cannot see them. The android client cannot see the traffic. This is the Win8.1 machine.

Machine 3 plays back the packets and machines 1 and 2 cannot see them. Right?

All the 3 machines are connected to the same switch?

Judd
03-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Correct and correct.

Nancy
03-17-2015, 06:06 AM
We tested on our local machine according to what you said, can see the traffic on Win8.1 machine, suggest you check your network configuration.